Wednesday, August 03, 2016


Miss Teen USA Keeps Her Crown Despite Alleged Use of N-Word on Social Media

The newly crowned Miss Teen USA Karlie Hay of Texas is facing backlash over her alleged use of a racial slur on social media a few years ago.

Screenshots of tweets from what appeared to be Hay’s Twitter account in 2013 and 2014 show her using the N-word, but “the authenticity of that Twitter account could not be verified, and the tweets from that account are now private,” CNN reported.

Hay was crowned Miss Teen USA on Saturday. She addressed the controversy the next day with a statement, but did not directly reference the alleged slur.

“Several years ago, I had many personal struggles and found myself in a place that is not representative of who I am as a person," she said in a statement read on both her Instagram and Twitter accounts.

"I admit that I have used language publicly in the past which I am not proud of and that there is no excuse for. Through hard work, education and thanks in large part to the sisterhood that I have come to know through pageants, I am proud to say that I am today a better person,” Hay added.

Despite calls for her to be dethroned, the Miss Universe Organization, which runs Miss Teen USA, appears to be standing by Kay.

SOURCE


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The kids of today have a lot of pressure.
In my day I could say stupid stuff all day and all night, knowing no-one would remember and judge me for them next week, let alone when I was an adult.
Nowadays those same stupid comments are on forums which allow them to be searched and recalled forever. And people judge they by today's standards, regardless of who you were when they were originally made.
Shame.