Friday, June 05, 2015

'I love the Irish, but these are people who can't grow potatoes'

In Australia, the Liberal party is the major conservative party.  It really does promote individual liberty, unlike America's so-called liberals

An advisor for the Liberal Party has launched into a shocking tirade while discussing Ireland's landslide same-sex union referendum.

Grahame Morris, a former advisor to Liberal leaders John Howard and Andrew Peacock, appeared on Sky News' PM Agenda with David Speers on Monday to talk about the opposition's push for a gay marriage vote in Australia.

However Mr Morris claimed Australia was not ready for the vote to be put to a public referendum and claimed the country should not feel like they have to 'follow suit', considering the Irish 'can't grow potatoes' and find it hard to 'vocalise the difference between 'tree' and 'three".

'But – and then all of a sudden – Australia has to follow suit.'

The conservative commentator appears to be referencing the Great Famine in his speech, where a potato blight killed over a million men, women and children in Ireland in the 1880s and caused mass emigration.

While it seems Mr Morris was making reference to the shamrock, which is a leaf and emblem associated with Ireland, the official national symbol of Ireland is actually a musical instrument - a harp. 

The renewed conversation about gay marriage in Australia has been prompted after Ireland became the first country to approve gay marriage by popular vote after more than 1.2million people overwhelmingly backed allowing same-sex unions in a historic referendum.


The Irish are a traditional butt of jokes so I imagine the Irish can take this spray.


Anonymous said...

Putting issues to a majority vote is a farce. Taken to the logical end 51% of a population could put the other 49% to death with this ridiculous solution. Public referendums should always require a supermajority of 2/3 of the populace and be narrowly defined so they will not be able to trample the citizens rights.


Anonymous said...

The potato blight/famine was in the 1840s rather than the 1880s.
Btw. this also affected the Scottish Highlands, but the Scots don't make the same fuss about it as those of Irish descent do today (ie. vicarious victimhood), nor the same level of vicarious sensitivity about the other terrible oppression that was endured by the population of the Scottish Highlands in the 18th and 19th centuries, which caused mass emigration. The Irish and their descendants have one hell of a victim-complex!

Anonymous said...

Australia can't hold a referendum on the issue because marriage is not defined in our constitution unlike the Irish Constitution. The best that can happen is a plebiscite. If the same rules as a referendum are followed then the vote must carry a majority of the population and also in a majority of states which means more than 50.001% of the vote, more in the region of two thirds of the vote.