Saturday, April 21, 2007

The "Sensitivity" of NPR

Jay Nordlinger writes:

"Finally, a story about NPR. I haven't listened to it for years - since the 1980s? - but I happened to hear it a couple of weeks ago. I was with someone who had it on. And I listened with wondering ears.

They were doing a segment on a man who had been a Christian missionary deep in the Amazon jungle. It seemed a warm, positive story. "Huh - this is interesting," I thought. "Maybe I should rethink NPR."

The narrator recounted that the man had learned the language of the tribesmen, a remarkable feat. But his "proselytizing" - NPR's word - wasn't going so well. The ex-missionary said (and I paraphrase), "I told them there had been this man, Jesus, who was killed, and then came back to life. They said to me, `Did you see this?' I said no. They said, `Do you know anyone who saw this?' I again had to say no."

Long story short: The missionary discarded his religious beliefs; the natives, as NPR said, wound up "converting him." So, a happy ending! A perfect, happy, NPR ending! It was just beautiful.

But here's the kicker: This segment was broadcast Easter morning. It was the perfect Easter gift to the American people from their public radio.

Source

Let's look forward to an NPR story ridiculing Islam on a Muslim holy day! (Don't hold your breath).