Wednesday, December 20, 2006

'Huck Finn' under Fire Again

From Arizona:

"A book being used in an American Literature class has a student and his mother so offended that the mother has threatened to file a civil-rights complaint. The mother, Dolores Fisher, alleges racial mistreatment, the segregation of her son and the use of a racial slur in the classroom.

"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" is required reading at Cactus High School. But it soon became a troubled tale when Fisher's 15-year-old son brought it home and said he wasn't comfortable reading it in class.

"I read it and I was in shock," she said. "When I went to high school in New York, I actually didn't have to read it because it was taken off shelves."

Fisher's upset with the derogatory word that appears more than 400 times in the book....

"It's a very good book by a very famous author," said parent Carl Stacey. "I think it has some good virtues in it. I don't see anything wrong with it at all."

Source


A previous attack on Huck Finn was noted here on Nov. 4th.

No comments: