Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A Welcoming King is Demeaning?

In Hawaii it seems to be. A tourism company used a picture of the former King of Hawaii with flowers around his neck and a glass of champagne in his hand to indicate that visitors would be warmly welcomed in Hawaii. The advertisement was not warmly welcomed, however:

"There's plenty of bad advertising that goes out, but nothing that I have seen that in any way attacks or belittles or demeans the host culture, not in the overt fashion that this particular ad does," he said.

Source


I am myself a monarchist happily living in a monarchy (Australia) and I can assure you that I have seen plenty of DELIBERATELY unflattering portrayals of the Royal family. But nobody endeavours to censor such portrayals and I treat them with the contempt they deserve. So to me Hawaiians seem to be lacking something in such matters.

No comments: