Sunday, January 01, 2012

British bad boy in action again





We read:
"Jeremy Clarkson has been accused of offensive behaviour once again after mocking Indian culture in a Top Gear Christmas special.

Viewers have complained to the BBC after the outspoken presenter made a series of controversial remarks about the country's clothing, trains, food and history.

At one point, Clarkson appeared to make light of the lack of sanitation for poor residents by driving around slums in a Jaguar fitted with a toilet.

Showing off the car's convenience, he boasted: “This is perfect for India because everyone who comes here gets the trots.”

Many viewers took to social networks and internet message boards to voice their objections about the show, in which the Top Gear team set out to boost British trade links with the subcontinent.

Owen Hathway tweeted: “Whats wrong with the BBC that they think casual racist stereotyping is acceptable on top gear?”

In one scene, Jeremy Clarkson is seen taking off his trousers in front of two Indian dignitaries to show them how to use a trouser press.

In another, the Top Gear team place banners promoting British industry on trains. One read, 'British IT is good for your company', and another, 'Eat English muffins'. But the message became intentionally obscene when the carriages of the trains separate and the banner splits.

Source

That slogan on the train was very rude. I think it does Clarkson no credit: Schoolboy humor. More pictures here. Gratuitously insulting his hosts is neither clever nor funny.

Update:

I think I am more than usually bothered by Clarkson's antics on this occasion because I like Indians. And I put my money where my mouth is: I have been to India three times and I have Indians living with me in my house.

The one redeeming feature of this affair is that the Indians would barely have comprehended what Clarkson was doing. If they did, they would probably have concluded that he is mad. It would not occur to them that they were dealing with a 5-year-old in a man's body.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The truth is always a strong defense. Thanks Jeremy!

Use the Name, Luke said...

In Clarkson's defense, he doesn't just make fun of others, he and the other hosts deliberately make themselves look like total idiots.

I gotta say, that the whole "we're such idiots that we can't tell the difference between a box wrench and an alligator" schtick has gotten so tiresome that I no longer enjoy watching the show. Which is too bad, because the parts of the show where they truly enjoy cars (as in serious fun) are very, very good.

Anonymous said...

Clarkson is just trying to be "amusing" on all his numerous TV appearances.(So be offended if you/they like or think it's un-PC)!)

stinky said...

The true measure of a man's character is revealed in what he laughs at.
--Goethe

(quoted from memory, but I think I got the gist of it correct)

Anonymous said...

I thought the "Eat English Muffins" banner was a great idea. In either configurations. I enjoy both English muffins and British women both a great deal.

I'm pretty sure these guys are still ID10ts though.

Anonymous said...

I agree that abusing your hosts' hospitality is crass.
This is one of the reasons I cannot stand Borat (and Baron-Cohen's other similar antics).
That said, the Top Gear trip to Vietnam has put that country on my list of 'must visit'.