Tuesday, September 02, 2008



"Babymen" a bad word

Prominent cartoonist Mike Manley has referred to adult fans of comic books as "babymen". One of the fans concerned has complained:
"Had it just been Manley reacting to overzealous Batnuts on his blog, I'd just ignore it. But now the word's seeping out in to blogs I read (well, at least Savage Critic and the ISB). So I'm going to compare it to hate speech. Hey, at least I'm transparent about my motives.

But really, I hate words that lump any group of people in to a homogenous blob that becomes a buggy man or punching dummy. I hate fanboy as a epithet, and I hate this. More so babymen because the actual word causes a tiny hot poker to stab me in the brain every time I read it.

But, I dunno, it just seems lazy to use this as the new word to refer to all of the grody, awful, tasteless, total caricatures of superhero comics fans that everyone who reads comics needs to have to feel better about themselves and anger up their blood....."

Source

Adult comic book fans are apparently much derided. "Never seen a woman naked" is one description of them. So I suppose they have some cause for complaint. They can't all be that bad. In Japan, practically all adult men read comics ("Manga").

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just as there has been a gradual "feminizing" of men, at the same time there has been an "infantalizing" of adults (and men in particular) - re behavior, activities, dress and mentality (the Peter Pan syndrome).

Anonymous said...

Those who cannot understand something often assume its infantile when the true lack is their own.

Anonymous said...

That there has been a "feminazation" of the American male there is no doubt. It is part of a campaign of male-bashing that has been going on for a long time, and is having a serious effect on younger males in particular. To confirm this, all one need do is watch some TV commercials. The proof is right there, in your face!

Another place where you can clearly see this phenomenon is watching the TV news shows, where women have taken complete control while her male side-kick sits there and acts appropriately submissive and of course, adheres to all the rules of political correctness.

Anonymous said...

Well, most of the media females are, but you can't say it.