Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Google Earth Swastika Update



A reader writes:

I am sure you remember the story about the U.S. Navy SeaBee barracks at NAB Coronado that looked like a Swastika from the air. Today I was looking at San Diego on Google Earth to check out the areas of the wildfires. So just out of curiosity I zoomed in on NAB Coronado. Above is the image of what I found.

These buildings don't look anything like the picture in the story. Either the picture was doctored or it is really old and additions have been made to the offending buildings.


See my previous post on the subject on Sept. 29th.

Interesting that the original picture came from the L.A. Times -- which has now taken that picture down. Being the cautious conservative type, however, I saved a copy of the original picture to disk and it is that picture which you will now see on my post of Sept. 29th.

It seems unlikely that great alterations have been made to the buildings in the last 3 weeks. Bureaucracies take years to do things, not weeks. They probably haven't even had their first meeting about it yet.

Update:

Another reader writes:

I looked at both pictures and I'm confused. The one from Sept 29 shows one building surrounded by either parking lots or roads but the one on today's blog (October 23) shows two buildings with just grass between them. I cannot reconcile the two pictures as being of the same buildings.

He's right. The two buildings above are just down the road (Tulagi Rd.) from the "Swastika" building -- which IS still there.

That the three buildings are so similar does however tend to show that the swastika shape was just a coincidence arrived at by making variations on a similar underlying idea.