Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Controversy over "Blame the Jews" Film

A community TV station in Aspen, Colorado, has been urged by "truthers" (people who believe that George Bush blew up the twin towers on 9/11/2001) to show a film called "Judea Declares War on Germany" -- which says that the Jews declared war on Hitler rather than vice versa. One conspiracy theory deserves another, I guess.

There is always some little fact that conspiracy theorists seize on and magnify out of all proportion and in this case it is the fact that British Jews were aware of what was happening in Germany in the 1930s and proclaimed a boycott of German goods in response. It did about as much good as the sanctions on Saddam Hussein or Iran, of course.

Anyway, the fruitcakes see that boycott as justifying all that Hitler subsequently did to the Jews. I myself have no interest in seeing the film (I think I have heard it all before) but believe that it does include some interesting prewar film clips and documentation. And the more facts we have to form our thinking the better.

Read the debate here on whether the film should be shown on TV. I liked this comment from a lady who supported broadcasting of the film: "I am afraid when I'm told I can't see something," said Sheila Markowitz of Glenwood Springs. "I would rather have this be seen and let people decide."

You can buy the DVD here if it interests you.

The only worrying thing about this business is that about a third of Democrat voters are now "truthers" to at least some degree -- because of their hatred of George Bush. But Leftists these days also hate Israel ("Zionists") so will this latest nonsense end up with a big following too?