Thursday, October 22, 2009



A Facebook "poke" can put you in the pokey

We read:
"The Facebook poke is possibly one of the most pointless,facebook annoying features of any social network to date. And apparently, it can land you in jail for nearly 12 months with a possible fine of $2500.

Shannon Jackson, 36, of Tennessee learned that the hard way when she was arrested on September 25. Jackson allegedly broke an order of protection against another woman when she decided to poke her on Facebook. The order of protection stated that she wasn't to make any form of contact -- pokes included. The Tennessean reports that she was sent to county jail with a bond of $1500 and is scheduled to appear in court on October 28.

The real crime is that Jackson failed to read Christopher Null's Facebook Etiquette guide, which clearly states: "No pokes. If you are over the age of 16, don't ‘poke' people -- seriously."

Source

A "poke" is just a way of saying "hello" or "I'm here" or "look at my site" but I guess it does breach a "no contact" order. Some of my best friends are pokers (just joking). I suppose it is a bit juvenile but it has never bothered me. I don't use it myself.

No comments: