Wednesday, April 28, 2010



Antisemitic joke?

The joke is an old one and other versions of it don't identify anybody as Jewish (or Taliban) so the motivation for it is certainly dubious. It could be a backhanded compliment however. Apparently it was initially taken that way.
"National Security Adviser James Jones apologized Monday for telling a joke last week that depicted a member of the Taliban getting tricked by a Jewish merchant looking to make a sale. "I wish that I had not made this off the cuff joke at the top of my remarks, and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it," he said in a written statement.

Here's what he said:

"A member of the Taliban was separated from his fighting party and wandered around for a few days in the desert, lost, out of food, no water. He looked on the horizon and he saw what looked like a little shack, and he walked toward that shack and as he got to it, turned out that it was a shack, a store, a little store owned by a Jewish merchant. And the Taliban warrior went up to him and said, 'I need water, get me some water.' And the merchant said, 'I'm sorry, I don't have any water, but would you like to buy a tie? We have a nice sale of ties today.'

"Whereupon the Taliban erupted into a stream of language that I can't repeat about Israel, about Jewish people, about the man himself, about his family -- and just saying 'I need water, you try to sell me ties, you people don't get it.'

"And passively, the merchant stood there until this Taliban was through with his diatribe and said, 'Well, I'm sorry but I don't have water for you and I forgive you for all of the insults you've levied against me, my family, my country, but I will help you out. If you go over that hill and walk about two miles there's a restaurant there, and they have all the water you'll need.'

"And the Taliban, instead of saying thanks, still muttering under his breath, disappears over the hill -- only to come back about an hour later and walking up to the merchant and says, 'Your brother tells me I need a tie in order to get into the restaurant.'"

Source

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good joke. Made me smile. :)

Anonymous said...

That's an old one. Fcuk 'em if they can't take a joke.

Anonymous said...

Good joke indeed, and a great lesson in the difference between Jews and Muslims.

Anonymous said...

I thought it made the Jewish merchant look good. The poetic justice he mets out is hi-lar-ious.

Anonymous said...

I don't get how that is offensive to Jews.

Anonymous said...

The guy apologized, so it's not an issue anymore, right?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
"I don't get how that is offensive to Jews."

It's offensive to jews because it shows they put profit above all else. To most people of the world, this joke is well known. Not as a joke, but as the truth.