Saturday, April 04, 2009



Grumpy old woman dislikes affectionate term of address

In some places in Australia and Britain, older women are at times greeted by younger women with the affectionate term "Darl" (short for "Darling"). In an era when the elderly are given much less respect than was once the case, one would think that such expressions of respect were wholly to be welcomed. But not by the old bag below who probably has not yet come to terms with her age.
"I spend a big part of my life shopping (don't we all?), some of which is mundane but necessary. Buying food, for instance. But why does it come with unnecessary irritations?

When I go to the supermarket the checkout chick barks, "How are you today darl?" and then, when she has checked my items through, it's "That'll be $XX, darl". As I pay her, she hands me my receipt and mutters, "Thanks darl." At the greengrocer a similar thing happens: "Hello, darl", followed by "Have a nice day, darl" as I depart.

This darl obsession is not restricted to shop assistants, though. It appears to be general within the female population. Does anyone know who pioneered it? More to the point, does anyone know how to bring it to a close..?

There is some light in the tunnel, though - the male population isn't afflicted with this urge to refer to me as darl. Take a leaf out of their book, girls, and don't call me darl.

Source

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

But she doesn't mind calling a young lady a "chick". She really needs to get the bee out of her bonnet - or whereever else it may be!

Anonymous said...

Maybe "chick" was her retaliation -?

Stan B said...

The golden rule is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," NOT "it's ok to call them chicks because they call you darl."

This lady is just looking for her 15 minutes of fame. Nothing to see here...move along.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps instead of "Darl" they could use "grumpy old hag"

Just thinking...

Anonymous said...

I haven't run into that too often. But when I do I just call them a pet name back ... a really obvious one, like "pookums" or something. Most see the joke, none have been offended that I'm aware of. Maybe one of the brighter people will start using 'Ma'am" or Mister like they should.

I don't think people who do this are doing it out of a lack of respect. I think it's more of an "under-education" issue. They just don't think about what is coming out of their mouths.

It's really nothing to get pissed off about! Have fun with it - Pookums!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it's nice to be addressed in obviously friendly terms rather than just a sour expression or avoiding eye-contact as tho' you're not there.

Anonymous said...

Maybe she shouldn't use "girls"

Anonymous said...

Checkout chic? How very un-PC! This is another example of how political correctness has not only eroded our free speech, but apparently the sense of humor of this old broad. Lighten up there granny and be grateful you're still around to hear what are clearly meant to be terms of endearment.

Anonymous said...

They were just to polite to call you by the correct term so next time in smile and treat them like something other than a lower life form trying to serve you to your high expectations. Who knows if you do that they may actually learn your name and be very nice. Of course given YOUR attitude I doubt it.

Brian from Virginia said...

I do not understand people like this. 'Darl' sounds a lot 'hun' or 'honey' to me, but then I was raised in the South where people talk that way all the time, and I take it for how it was intended, a compliment and not a put down. Then again, I do not want to anger the people who are preparing and serving me food, either.

Anonymous said...

Brian, it's because most Southerners are normal and well mannered and understand the difference between a compliment and an insult.

Anonymous said...

In Ireland the usual greeting from young female staff in most small shops is: You OK?

I find this particularly annoying sooooooo I respond with:

"Not according to my psychiatrist, but as long as I'm taking my medication I'm not dangerous. OH DARN, that reminds me....!