Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"Islander" Incorrect

In recent decades, a lot of Polynesians from places like the Cook Islands have migrated to New Zealand. Since the Maori are also Polynesians, they probably feel more at home in New Zealand than they would do elsewhere. They are however regarded as a distinct ethnic group with their own "problems".

On my Education Watch blog I recently put up a post about New Zealand that mentioned the Pacific Islanders. Bad! One of the people the post mentioned, Liz Keneti, read the post and left a comment on the blog saying that "Pacific Islander" is an offensive term to the people concerned. They must be referred to as "Pacific People"

Since I live only a few miles from the Pacific, I guess I am one of the Pacific People too. Or am I missing something? I'm definitely not a Polynesian but I imagine I am not supposed to mention that. That would be "racist", wouldn't it? So I guess I AM one of the Pacific People. Confusing, though.

What's wrong with living on an island anyway? Life on Pacific islands is rather idealized by many Westerners. I myself know of nothing more beautiful than a coral cay. Australia has some good ones (e.g. Green Island, near where I grew up in Far North Queensland) and they are very popular tourist destinations.