Sunday, September 25, 2011

Leftist "Media Mutters" objects to term "illegals"

See below. How about "paperless people" instead?

It is perfectly normal to abbreviate common expressions and "illegals" is an abbreviation of "illegal immigrant" -- which is exactly what the people concerned are. But in good Leftist style Media Mutters obviously believe that changing the word for something changes the reality somehow:
At the Fox News-Google GOP presidential debate, co-moderator Chris Wallace used the pejorative term "illegals" to refer to undocumented immigrants and read a question from the public that used the term, as well. Journalists have called on the media to stop using the term "illegals," but Fox's "straight news" shows use it consistently nonetheless.

Wallace Tells Romney, "You Vetoed Legislation To Provide Interstate Tuition Rates To The Children Of Illegals." From the debate:

WALLACE: Governor Romney, I want to continue a conversation that you had with Governor Perry in the last debate. In Massachusetts, you vetoed legislation to provide in-state tuition rates to the children of illegals. Governor Perry, of course, signed the Texas DREAM Act to do exactly that."

Source

10 comments:

Bird of Paradise said...

Their called illegal aliens becuase their here illegaly and this settle into the minds of ignorant liberals?

A. Levy said...

This is simply part of the ongoing crusade to change the way we speak, think, and reason. (for those who still can reason) The media is doing everything it can to see to it that we all comply with the insidious, freedom-killing virus known as, political correctness.

PC has already taken a very strong hold on American society in general. The MSM talking heads live by it. And yes, this includes Fox. It is proof of how incredibily weak, gullible, and down-right stupid the American people have become.

Anonymous said...

"I do not like the fact that there are so many illegal immigrants, but neither do I like the current immigration laws that would have prevented some of my forefathers from immigrating to this country legally."

What laws/rules/regulations are you referring to?

Anonymous said...

Do some research on your own Anonymous (from 7:34 AM). Why does everybody expect everything handed to them on a silver platter today? Pretend you don't have a job, a college degree, or political connections, and neither do you have any connections to anybody living here. As well, pretend that you only have enough money available for transportation to the U.S. Try to find out what it would take to immigrate legally to the U.S. these days.

smmtheory

Anonymous said...

Euphemisms have to be constantly "updated" as they quickly take on the very pejorative character they sought to escape, especially with easily-made slang contractions.

Bird of Paradise said...

They used to call them WET BACKS becuase they swam the RIO GRAND river

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the old "do some research on your own" reply. Usually because the original poster made some dubious claim that he is actually clueless about as well.

Smmtheory, if you think its hard trying to immigrate to the US, you ought to do some research as to what it would take to immigrate to some other country, say Canada or Mexico. Maybe then you'll stop hating on the US.

sign me,

smmactual

Jonathan Lewin said...

I wonder why so many contributors to this forum find it necessary to combine their warfare against politically correct restrictions on free speech with warfare against the English language.

Perhaps Bird of Paradise would care to tell us what the word "their" means.

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous (signed smmactual),

So what you're saying is, that since every other country is elitist, the US should be too? You're not making too much sense there. How you managed to jump all the way to the conclusion that I'm hating on the US because I think our immigration laws are too harsh is way beyond my understanding. I'm critical of the laws, so therefore I must be hating the country? Are you serious? If I'm critical of Congress because they allow the EPA to continue regulatory adventurism against American industry, I must be hating on the US, eh? I'm critical of having to pay so much in taxes, so I must be hating on the country again, eh? Must I prove my love of country by shutting my trap and not bucking the status quo, then? If you disagree with my opinion about the immigration law, that's problem by me. You're elitist, I'm not. Deal with it.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say, "that's no problem by me."

smmtheory