Monday, June 09, 2008



German Newspaper Slammed for Racist Cover



We read:
"The German newspaper Die Tageszeitung has a reputation for leftist social sensitivity. All the more bizarre then was its choice of a cover to mark Obama's victory in the race for the Democratic Party nomination: a photo of the White House under the headline "Uncle Barack's Cabin."

Source

I can see why offense was taken: They seem to be calling BO an uncle Tom, which is certainly derogatory. But I think I have to side with the Leftists on this one nevertheless. I think it is clear that the intent was to say how high blacks have risen since the days of the original uncle Tom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree, the book “Uncle Tom” was written in America and was easily moved to other English speaking countries. But was it also translated and printed in Germany and did it become a book that most people in the nation were aware of? I have only read two books that were originally published in a language other than English and then translated to English. One “The Law” by Basitiat and “The Art of War” by Sun. So I would only be aware of the cultural historical references if someone told me of them, but I wouldn’t know of them from my readings.

Mobius

Anonymous said...

The real question here is, where would Obama be if he were White?

Anonymous said...

I usually vote republican. This time around I am voting Obama. If it where Hillary v McCain, I would have voted McCain.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! (DUH)

Anonymous said...

LOL! You hit the nail on the head bunny!