Thursday, July 05, 2007

A Leftist Defence of Academic Free Speech

On June 12 I reported the case in Australia where two professors had been suspended from their jobs for six months because they spoke out against the "postmodern" crap being preached at their university.

The two professors are in fact moderate Leftists -- but that makes them conservative in a university context, of course. The university concerned has not so far backed down and is defending its actions on very hokey grounds so I am pleased to report that the Australian Left has got itself involved on the side of the professors. Leftists did a lot of protesting against university administrations in the 60s so maybe old habits die hard!

See an article on a Leftist site written by Brian Laver in defence of the professors. I know Brian from way back. He and I were on opposite sides of the Vietnam issue back in the 60s at the University of Queensland. He usually claims to be an anarchist rather than a Leftist but I think that just means that he is a Leftist who really does have some principles. I am delighted that those principles have come to the fore on this occasion.

May I repeat my call for emails to Prof. Peter Coaldrake in protest against his university's action in this matter: Click here to email him.