Wednesday, June 30, 2010



Hate speech against Catholics in Australia

She'd be fired for saying anything similar about Islam. Rather amazing that a major commercial TV station risked alienating so many of their audience. About 25% of Australians identify as Catholics
"Channel 10’s ‘The 7PM Project’ and one of its presenters Kitty Flanagan have caused major offence to Catholics and Catholic groups all over the country.

MsFlanagan began her segment firstly by dismissing religion as ‘fiction’, and then moved on to ridiculing the Catholic Church’s teaching on the Eucharist, by suggesting Catholics drank blood like vampires. She then proceeded to further mock and ridicule religious teaching, paying special attention to Catholicism.

Source

Flanagan is of course an Irish name so perhaps she is another example of the old saying that there is no anti-Catholic like an ex-Catholic.

I myself was brought up in Presbyterian traditions at a time when many Presbyterians harboured a strong suspicion that "old red socks" (the Pope) was the antichrist -- but now that I have put aside such foolish things, I have met several men of great holiness among the Roman priesthood -- plus some that I would not let a child near -- so I treat Catholicism with great respect these days. I even sent my son to Catholic schools in order to be sure he got at least the basics of the Christian story.

6 comments:

Some dude said...

"I even sent my son to Catholic schools in order to be sure he got at least the basics of the Christian story."

Jon, are you sure that you are an atheist? Your writings and posts say otherwise. I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

Yep, it's a bit dangerous - you get the apparent good behavior and good exam results, but it's in exchange for some religious indoctrination - however subtle in the case of the non-catholic students.
And yes do be careful of the pedo-priests and sado-nuns!!

Daniel said...

I've been reading this blog for quite awhile so I may have commented to this effect already, but I appreciate that you're non-Christian without being anti-Christian.

Anonymous said...

Some day, Catholics and Christians are going to respond to the ongoing anti-Christian crusade in the same way Muslims respond to all things anti-Islam. Unfortunately, tolerance is often seen as a sign of weakness, but that can be "remedied".

jonjayray said...

Although I am an atheist I appreciate the huge influence Christianity has had and so wanted my son to know what it is all about

He enjoyed his religion lessons at the time but ended up an unbeliever anyway

Anonymous said...

Hopefully Jon, it was his own decision?