Tuesday, January 07, 2014


Comedian Natasha Leggero refuses to apologize mocking Pearl Harbor survivors on NBC

The 31-year-old comedian angered some audience members during NBC's 'New Year's Eve With Carson Daly' when she made an offhand remark in regard to a tasteless tweet that SpaghettiOs had posted on Pearl Harbor Day.

'I mean, it sucks that the only survivors of Pearl Harbor are being mocked by the only food they can still chew,' Leggero quipped.

Deluged in angry Tweets, most of which can't be published, Leggero responded in a post on her blog on Friday, reported the New York Daily News.  'I'm not sorry,' she wrote.

'I don't think the amazing courage of American veterans and specifically those who survived Pearl Harbor is in any way diminished by a comedian making a joke about dentures on television.'

'Do we really believe that the people who fought an defended our freedom against Nazis an the Axis powers will find a joke about SpaghettiO's too much to bear? Sorry, I have more respect for veterans than to think their honor can be impugned by a glamorous, charming comedian in a fur hat.'

Source

I think she is right not to apologize for a harmless joke that had an element of truth in it.  Most vets probably laughed too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jon,

Most of the vets I know were offended by the joke. They thought the original Spaghettios tweet missed the mark, but they understood it.

The joke was not taken well be any vet I know or have seen posting on some of the milblogs.

That is just what I have seen and your mileage may vary.