Monday, October 29, 2007

Some Amusing Recent History

When the comments facility on the first incarnation of this blog began to be grossly abused, I began to take corrective measures -- deleting foul-mouthed abuse etc. This of course caused much anger against me on the part of the deleted ones, anger which still simmers, apparently. Trolls are an old problem on blogs, however, so I just ratcheted up the defensive measures until the offensive commenters went away.

Their departure was facilitated when Kim, one of the regular commenters on the old blog, started her own site with the promise that she would not delete anything. And most of the "old gang" seem to have turned their attention there. The blog concerned gets rather scrappy-looking at times but most of the posts are reasonable so I am happy to give it a link.

After a while, Kim asked me to become a contributor at her blog. Since my TT posts had interested her readers in the past, she no doubt quite reasonably thought that more posts from me would be of interest to her readers too. I accepted. My presence on Kim's blog seemed to stir up quite a storm, however. There were huge numbers of comments on each of my posts -- very few of which I read. All the comments that I did read, however, were most abusive about my being there. In the end Kim bowed to the outrage and un-invited me. So I ceased posting there. I thought it was a rather good demonstration of how childish the commenters concerned were.

For some reason, however, Kim and at least some of the "old gang" have again begun to frequent the comments on this blog. They must have become tired of listening to one-another, I suppose. They are perfectly welcome here while they remain civil and I have had to deal with only one "bad apple" so far. And I have still used only some of the tools I have available to exclude his comments.