Friday, May 11, 2007

"Is a timetable for withdrawal intended to hasten victory - or defeat?"

The Anchoress wrote what I have put in the heading above in one of her posts. A commenter replied: "That's not a question, that's name-calling". The Anchoress got a bit sarcastic about that:

"So help me out here. Has the act of asking a pointed question of the left now become something too hurtful? Is it the equivalent of "name-calling?" Do I simply not understand what name-calling is? Maybe I've been doing it all this time and haven't realized it - in which case, I would feel just dreadful."

I always thought "name-calling" was invective - the stuff I routinely get in my e-mail, "christianist creep, asshole, nazi, hater, sycophant, bushbot, fascist, idiot, narrow-minded-baboon, knuckle dragging neanderthal, theocon totalitarian." I guess I was wrong."

Are we allowed to have differences of opinion, these days? Or does everyone who doesn't agree with the establishment simply need to shut up and fall in line, or be castigated as stupid and immoral and beaten into submission?

The Left are generally incapable of rational argument so will use any accusation they can to halt it. And they are so full of themselves that just disagreeing with them is seen by them as intolerable.