Thursday, August 31, 2006

Blonde Jokes Now Out?



I myself dislike blonde jokes and never make them. I know too many smart blondes. But the idea that blondes tend to be dumb seems to me a harmless urban myth that helps non-blondes cope with the fact that "Gentlemen prefer blondes".

But all that may be coming to an end. An Australian conservative politician, Bruce Flegg, was apologizing for various blunders he had made while campaigning when he made an even bigger blunder:

"I think it's just a case that occasionally you have a bit of a blonde moment and I don't expect to have too many more of those," Dr Flegg said.

You can guess the uproar. There is a good comment (by a blonde) on that and various other recent absurdities here.

But it seems to be OK for Leftist politicians to have "blonde moments". Dr Flegg's Leftist opponent has just said that he had "perpetual blonde moments" -- with no apparent resultant outcry.

No comments: