Monday, December 04, 2017


"Where are you from?"

If someone looks or sounds a bit different from most of the locals, the above question is often asked.  It seems like reasonable curiosity and even a conversation-starter to me but it is these days often regarded as "incorrect" and offensive.

As I am old, however, I am usually forgiven incorrectness so I continue on in my merry way.  So when I was having Sunday brunch in a nearby Cafe recently, I noted that I was served by a very attractive blonde and blue-eyed young lady.  She spoke English well but with a rather charming accent which sounded to me like a South African accent.  I have been to South Africa twice so have some idea of the South African accent.

So I said to her, "You sound like you have a South African accent".

She replied cheerfully: "I am Polish".  I am a great fan of the  heroic Polish people (See here) so I was pleased at her answer. She had the extremely white skin that Poles often have so maybe I should have guessed.

Anyway, she was not a bit offended and was pleasant to me subsequently.

Now why can't everybody be like that?  I think the Left have made neurotics out of a lot of people by their constant preaching of "discrimination" so maybe that's it. 

I gather that politically correct preaching has not got far in Poland.  They have refused point blank to take any of the Muslim pseudo-refugees that Germany has welcomed. Niech Żyje Polska!

3 comments:

Bird of Paradise said...

When i went to High School some 40 years ago my Art Teacher spoke with that southern accent that bugs the whining little snowflakes today and the leftists NAACP,NBPP and BLM

Anonymous said...

In my experience, it's not a matter of being offended, its a matter of constantly being asked that question and either having to give them a long explanation or just shrugging it off. My parents, who have been American citizens for over 40 years (who identify themselves as Americans) and still have a somewhat heavy accent, get asked this everywhere they go.

Anonymous said...

6:42 AM
So what if you are regularly asked where you are from. People are only making conversation. Just happily anser them.

I have an accent and in my work I meet different people everyday and I get asked everyday where I am from. I happily answer them with no annoyance at all.

But I am not afflicted with chronic or subsurface irritability like so many people are nowadays.