Thursday, August 29, 2019



Even puns are offensive now

A comedian has been asked to apologise for a vegetable-based joke.

Swedish comedian Olaf Falafel has been asked to apologise for a joke he made at the Edinburgh Fringe.

The joke was as follows: ‘I keep randomly shouting out “broccoli” and “cauliflower” – I think I might have florets.’ TV channel Dave awarded it the ‘Joke of the Fringe’ prize.

But not everyone was amused. Suzanne Dobson, chief executive of Tourette’s charity Tourette’s Action, thought the joke was ‘rubbish’. Fair enough.

But she went further. She also demanded an apology from the comedian: ‘Humour is a great way of educating people – but not only is it not funny to poke fun at people with Tourette’s, it’s not even that funny a joke, is it?’ She also said the joke brought ‘shame on Dave’. (Arguably a funnier statement than the joke itself.)

Of course, there is nothing offensive about this joke and people with Tourette’s are clearly not the target of it. It was a pun, not some covert incitement to hatred.

SOURCE 

I am embarrassed to admit that I did not "get" the joke initially


3 comments:

Bird of Paradise said...

Q. How many liberals dose it take to screw in a light bulb? A. Two one to screw in the light bulb the other to check for Animal Parts and Rain Forests Wood

Stan B said...

I LOVE that joke! That is amazing! I'm going to tell that Joke! And I refuse to apologize to anyone who gets butthurt about it.

Procyon Bearsfoot said...

“a thing isn't much good if it can't stand being made fun of.”
― H. Beam Piper