Saturday, May 05, 2007

Must not depict Jews as combative?

I would be VERY combative if I had had to put up with what Jews have endured:

"It'd be like calling Groucho Marx anti-mustache," the best-selling author Michael Chabon said of recent criticism in the New York Post that he and his new detective novel, The Yiddish Policemen's Union, are anti-Semitic.... The Post's Kyle Smith had complained that the book depicts Jewish characters as combative, violent Zionists.

"That's taking it more seriously than I think it deserves to be taken as a charge, because it just seems silly to me," said Mr. Chabon, crossing his arms a bit defensively. He was wearing a dapper sports coat and his signature California mane. "I think it's kind of ridiculous, because I'm not anti-Semitic. I don't accept that designation at all. I love my Jewish heritage. I'm so proud of it. If I weren't, I wouldn't write about it, and I feel that I don't need to prove that to anybody."

Source