Sunday, February 12, 2006

Easter Buns Under Fire Again



This time Jehovah's Witnesses have been wheeled out to justify the ban. Makes a change off Wiccans and the ever-reliable Muslims, I suppose.

"The UK's mania for political correctness has struck again where a school has banned hot cross buns, a traditional sweet pastry associated with Good Friday. A representative of Oaks Primary School in Ipswich, said the buns, which include two strips of decorative icing intersecting in the middle, might offend Jehovah's Witnesses who attend the school."

Source


Update

When I said above that JWs had been "wheeled out" to justify the ban, I was of course implying that the ban was not their idea. The following email is therefore of interest:

"I am a JW and just wanted to add my 2 cents. The school didn't say that JWs were offended. It said they might be. It didn't say any JWs complained. It said they might. This is no different then the Florida Seminoles controversy. The problem wasn't that the Seminoles were being oppressed. It was that the football association was telling them they were being oppressed and that it was being fixed for them.

When I attended school I politely bowed out of any activities that I felt I shouldn't be involved in. I respected others' beliefs as I expected them to respect mine. All JW children are taught the same thing, and if they are not, it is the parents' fault, not the religion's.

If my children's school made this decision I would personally protest. I don't need someone to stick up for my children's or my beliefs. I will let you know when I am offended, and to be honest, telling me when to be offended is about the only thing offensive about this whole situation.

To the people that said bad things about the JW religion: I just think that before you go making sweeping accusations against an entire religion because of one hare-brained decision (by a school, not the religion) it might be good to keep an open mind."




Ebonics Incorrect?

As a poor ignorant Australian, there is a lot I don't know about the USA but I gather that American blacks use the word "Ho" rather freely. It is the "Ebonics" version of the old English word "Whore" of course but is often used for just about any young woman as far as I can gather.

It seems however to be another of those words that whites use at their peril. A college fraternity (the Theta Delta Chi fraternity, at the College of William and Mary) hosted a party and themed it as an "EskiHO's" party. Not everyone was offended but a few apparently were. If you want to read a really sickening grovel from the fraternity head about this awful misdeed, click here