Sunday, November 15, 2009



Homosexuals are free to express their views but Christians are not

We read:
"A manager at a Massachusetts retail store claims he was unjustly fired after he told a colleague he thought her impending marriage to another woman was wrong. Peter Vidala, 24, told FoxNews.com he was terminated in August from his position as second deputy manager at a Brookstone store at Boston's Logan Airport after a conversation he had with a manager from another Brookstone store who was visiting the location.

Vidala claims the woman, whom he declined to identify, mentioned four times that she had married her partner. He said he then left the store briefly to visit the airport's chapel before returning. "I found it offensive that she repeatedly brought it up," Vidala said. "By the fourth time she mentioned it, I felt God wanted me to express how I felt about the matter, so I did. But my tone was downright apologetic. I said, 'Regarding your homosexuality, I think that's bad stuff.'"

The woman, according to Vidala, then said, "Human resources, buddy — keep your opinions to yourself," before exiting the store. Two days later, Vidala, who had been employed for just a matter of weeks, received a termination letter citing the company's zero-tolerance policy regarding "harassment" and "inappropriate and unprofessional" comments...

Vidala said he felt "intentionally goaded" by the manager to comment on her relationship. "She knew how I felt about homosexuality," he said. "When you talk to someone about something like that, you want their support. She was kind of looking into my eyes for that social cue for me to say, 'I'm happy for you.' But I really couldn't feel happy for her.

Source

So, the Lesbian was OK to harrass the Christian, knowing how he felt - but the moment he voices his opinion he's fired. The store says "While you are entitled to your own beliefs, imposing them upon others in the workplace is not acceptable". What about the Lesbian who actually did harrass the Christian and try to force her beliefs on him?

(Via Contemporary Fundamentalist)

14 comments:

Bobby said...

You don't tell someone you got married if you don't expect comments. The typical marriage vows says: "if there's anyone that would oppose this union, speak now or forever hold your peace." So I don't think the manager was in the wrong. Liberals are too damn sensitive, they need to grow thicker skins.

Anonymous said...

I see - so it was the lesbian's fault that the man felt obliged to criticize her marriage? I can just imagine the response on this site if the lesbian had criticized a christian's marriage. What hypocracy!

Anonymous said...

I see - so it was the lesbian's fault that the man felt obliged to criticize her marriage?

Actually, it can be taken that way. The manager used her beliefs to set up a situation where the employee felt uncomfortable with his. She was using her position as a manager to deny him his legally held religious beliefs.

You are correct in that there is a certain hypocrisy to this situation. If a religious person had been discussing their marriage and another person would have disparaged the marriage, God, or their beliefs, the incident would have ended there.

Here, the manager used the weight of the Human Resources department to deny the man his legal and moral right to his opinion and beliefs.

In essence, a person is allowed to have certain beliefs until it creates a "hostile work environment" or impacts the workplace. In this case, the manager was the one creating the hostile work environment as well as having a negative impact on the workplace.

Bobby said...

"I see - so it was the lesbian's fault that the man felt obliged to criticize her marriage?"

---Yes it was, the moment you open your mouth you're not entitled to a positive response no matter what the topic or issue is at hand.

The manager's response is no more hostile than coming to work in an Obama t-shirt. Now, if the manager had called her a goddam dyke then yes, that's harassment and it creates a hostile work environment. But somebody telling you they don't approve of your marriage is simply a matter of opinion. You don't want to know how I feel? Don't ask!

Anonymous said...

Bobby makes a good point. When the lesbian told the worker of the marriage, (4 times i believe) she/he/it was obviously expecting a positive response, something no one has a right to expect, especially if he/she/it was aware of the workers religious beleifs. Why else would she/he/it do that? I think the real answer is in Anon 3:05's response. Set-up!

Anonymous said...

I don't plan on shopping at Brookstone ever. Although I think the guy should file with the EEOC.

Anonymous said...

I agree. What amazes me is that the lesbian hasn't filed a suit. They usually live for that.

Bobby said...

I don't think it was a set up, I think it was tunnel vision, when you fail to realize that not everyone sees your "good news" as good.

As for suing, in America you have to be a victim of something to sue, if the lesbian had been fired for getting married, then she would be able to sue. In this case, it's the Christian who can sue since he's the one that got victimized.

Anonymous said...

I suspect its partially because of the lesbian's victim mentality and being first to complain.
Had the male Christian said right off that he found her comments offensive and was lodging a complaint with HR and had done so things might have been different.
Here it seems that being the complainer rather than the complainee makes a big difference.

Anonymous said...

brookstone will get no more of my business, that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

"brookstone will get no more of my business, that's for sure!"

Ridiculous. That's like saying, "I am not going to church anymore because one priest fcuked an alter boy.

Anonymous said...

"brookstone will get no more of my business, that's for sure!"

'Ridiculous. That's like saying, "I am not going to church anymore because one priest fcuked an alter boy."

Not at all. How many left wingers said the same thing about Whole Foods not all that long ago?

I guess you are saying that it is okay for those on the left side of the political spectrum to say they will boycott a store or chain, while its just plain silly for someone on the right to do that. Personally, I believe that anyone is free to shop, or not to shop, where ever they choose.

Anonymous said...

guess you are saying that it is okay for those on the left side of the political spectrum to say they will boycott a store or chain, while its just plain silly for someone on the right to do that.

I did not say that, you moron.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

guess you are saying that it is okay for those on the left side of the political spectrum to say they will boycott a store or chain, while its just plain silly for someone on the right to do that.

"I did not say that, you moron."

You may not have used those exact words, but that was your implication. And resorting to name calling too. I know my comment hit the nail on the head; otherwise you have argued logically.