Monday, August 29, 2005

An Interesting Email "fro" a Reader:

A reader noted something interesting in the middle of my excerpt about the NAACP dislike of the word "city". He comments:

"When the typo "fro" was used instead of "for" right in the middle of the NAACP's name, I busted up! I feel as though I have to give the NAACP some credit for helping minorities but usually when I read about their current campaign or cause it only furthers what they fight against. Namely they want whites to see them as equals (which I do) but everything they do or champion makes me see them as a different group of people. "African-Americans," affirmative action, BET, etc; It all gives me the idea that this group of people are different than me. We're all equal folks! I'm not better than you and you're not better than me, so let's move on!"





A New No-no Word: "Inner City"

I sort of understand the problem here. "Inner city" can be a bad place from the point of view of crime etc. But does it help to deny that a place is "inner city" when it is? Some people seem to be in denial over it anyway. Excerpt:

"People living on Green Bay's east side are sticking up for themselves after parents from Bellevue criticized the neighborhoods around East High School, labelling them "inner city." The controversy started Wednesday night at a meeting over school boundaries. Parents from Bellevue had this to say about a proposal that would send their kids to Washington Middle School and East High School: "If I wanted my child to go to an inner city school, I would have moved to the inner city. I don't need to be worried about that. If we wanted to live near East High, we would have paid a lot less for our house. I, like the other people here, spent the money to get out of the inner city and send my child to a better school." Some east-side residents were offended. Others were mad".

Source





And Just the Word "City" is Pretty Bad these Days too

I always thought that a city outlook or mentality would be more sophisticated and smart than what you find among those rubes living in the country but I grew up in a rural area so that shows what a rube I am -- or does it? Excerpt from the latest sophisticated commentary on urban/rural differences:

"The Gary branch of the NAACP wants an apology from Bureau of Motor Vehicles Commissioner Joel Silverman for "offensive and disrespectful" comments he made during a recent public hearing. Silverman referred to members of a mostly black audience Aug. 17 as having a "city mentality," which many took as a racial remark. "When you mention the term 'city mentality' to an audience consisting mainly of African-Americans, they're not thinking city mentality means 'regional.' They're thinking you mean the N-word mentality. That was a perception problem," said Tammi Davis, president of the National Association fro the Advancement of Colored People. Davis has sent a letter to Gov. Mitch Daniels requesting a formal apology and suggesting that Silverman attend sensitivity training.

Source


To equate "city" with "dumb black" sure shows up how inadequate those dictionary-makers are I guess.




The Latest Feminist Gospel

My blood boils when I read the sort of arrogance and ignorance below. Excerpt:

"Salzman, an executive vice-president at the advertising agency J. Walter Thompson, has serious points to make about where men go from here. Society has changed for ever, she says, so males must adapt if they are to reassert themselves in a world increasingly defined and dominated by femininity. It is not just men who are fed up with male-bashing. Research shows that women, too, want men to assert themselves as confident, vital, masculine partners. They want "real" men back. But because we will never return to 1950s patriarchy - the genie cannot be put back in the bottle, thank God - men must redefine masculinity to accommodate who they are today. They must find, says Salzman, their own personal version of manliness.... M-ness (also known as my-ness) is defined thus: a masculinity that defines the best of traditional manliness (strength, honour, character) with positive traits traditionally associated with females (nurturance, communicativeness, co-operation)."

Source


The female writer above has at last realized that most women prefer real men to pansies and has graciously decided that men can be men again. They don't have to ape women any more. But men still need to have SOME feminine characteristics. And what are they? "Nurturance, communicativeness, co-operation", we are told. So men can't communicate, can't co-operate and can't nurture. What gross and stupid insults! If any man had said anything comparable about women there would be uproar. The whole article shows how shut-off from the real world female writers can become. If men cannot communicate and co-operate, how the hell does the stupid b**** think they succeed in business? I suppose it is possible that the moron does not realize how important co-operation and communication is in business but, if so, she should retire from writing for good -- or take up fiction instead -- because she knows zilch about the real world.

And as for men not being nurturant, have you ever known an instance of "Daddy's girl"? It is one of the most beautiful human relationships you will see -- where a little girl and her father absolutely adore one-another. But Leftists and feminists never do care about reality. I myself had a particularly close relationship with one of my stepdaughters when she was little. She is now a beautiful young woman about to be married so we say very little to one-another these days. We don't need to. A quick smile between us tells both of us that all the old affection is still there. But I guess a lot of feminists have never experienced that sort of relationship so they really know nothing about men at all.